Sunday 7 July 2013

My TechEd 2013 in Slides

Microsoft TechEd Europe 2013 conference was held the last week of June in Madrid, Spain. As usual, Microsoft published online the entire content of the sessions. This is a lot of free materials!

Considering an average of 1.5 hours per session, it would require almost 4 working months to watch all of the sessions.

Even an avid learner like me, needs to give up on such idea. That's why I think that downloading all the sessions in advance is usually a crazy idea.

In the past, I watched only few sessions and I simply ignored all the others. The problem with that option is that you might easily miss some important news.

This year, I decided to follow a different approach. I decided to fully watch only the keynotes and to read the slides of all the other sessions. The goal is obviously to learn all the latest news from Microsoft without missing anything. Following this approach, allows me to identify topics I didn't consider and that might be of interest. In addition, nobody stops me to watch a particular session in full later if I need to understand more deeply a subject I am particular interested.

I spent almost 18 hours to do this and in this post I would like to summarize the conference showing the slides that I liked the most.

Statistics and Trends

This slide include really impressive information about the amount of data that is transferred on the Internet every minute. This is astonishing and it is growing incredibly fast.

The challenges faced today by the organisations are complex.




Cloud computing is the answer and hybrid cloud computing looks like the most favourite trend.



In addition, mobile malware is increasing in particular in the Android world. Security is surely a big and important topic.



Windows Server 2008 R2 is the most used Windows Server OS right now and there is still a significant portion of Windows Server 2003 deployments out there.



Windows XP is still incredibly popular and share a similar slice of the client OSs with Windows 7. Windows 8 instead is still quite irrelevant. Hopefully the future release Windows 8.1 will get more traction thanks to the reintroduction of the start button of the ability to further customize the desktop. As a consequence of this, there are still a lot of VB6 applications in production.



Microsoft Cloud Vision

Microsoft is clearly investing a lot in building a complete cloud infrastructure.












Microsoft and Citrix

Microsoft is the lead for desktops and Citrix is the lead of Desktop Virtualization. As a Citrix employee, I am quite interested in the relationship between these two companies, and in this edition of TechEd there were many sessions mentioning Citrix products.

First of all, it was quite interesting to read about the interconnected history of the two companies.

 




The following slides describes the power of combining XenApp and Configuration Manager 2012 and I am particularly proud to say that I personally worked in some part of these projects in Citrix in the last few years.




The Mobile SDK for Windows Apps allows to mobilize applications that are hosted on Citrix XenApp or XenDesktop and delivered to any mobile device with Citrix Receiver.



SQL Server 2014


Windows Server 2012 R2




I simply love the ability to create virtual networks. Thanks to the new Windows Azure Active Directory will be easier then ever to create a private virtual network that spans across Azure and the corporate network. This is a significant step forward for my point of view!



















Software Development

  


 






MSDN Benefits

The new MSDN benefits for Windows Azure are incredible. In particular, I like:
  • No charge for Stopped VMs
  • Pay by the Minute Billing
  • Heavily Discounted MSDN Dev/Test Rates
  • MSDN Monetary Credits

No comments:

Post a Comment

What you think about this post? I really appreciate your constructive feedback (positive and negative) and I am looking forward to start a discussion with you on this topic.